Wednesday, February 6, 2013

HYRULE HISTORIA


Yesterday, I acquired what very well could be the crowning jewel of my nerdery collection: Dark Horse’s HYRULE HISTORIA, a.k.a. 271 pages of breathtaking The Legend of Zelda goodness.  I received the book as a surprise gift from my amazing boyfriend—thanks, babe! ♥
 
The book is not only flat-out gorgeous, but also HUGE!  My boyfriend only paid roughly $20 (off of Amazon) for it, so I wasn’t expecting it to be so big!  It was certainly a pleasant surprise.  It’s a good-quality book with thick pages and a durable hardcover.
 
 
 
 
As the title suggests, the book chronicles the History of Hyrule throughout the Zelda series by beginning with Skyward Sword in a section titled “The Legend Begins”, and ending with “Creative Footprints”, a section that documents 25 years of artwork, with beautiful, full-color pages all along the way.  The book also features an intro and a conclusion by Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma, respectively, and a 32-page manga that tells the story of the goddess Hylia, the first Hero of Time, and the origins of Hyrule, and was lovingly drawn by the amazing duo Akira Himekawa.  I would have paid $20 for this manga alone!
 
For those of you who don't have the book (yet?), here are some scans (courtesy of Glitterberri), to give you a little preview:
 
 
SS LinkSS ZeldaOoT Adult LinkSS ZeldaLoZ Like Like 


AND, if you really want to go all out, there is also a Special Edition, of which there are only 4000 copies in existence. You can read about that here.
 
What a treasure.  No Zelda fan should be without this book.  Reading it made my heart ache with joy.  The Legend of Zelda has been such a huge part of my life, and my childhood memories of playing the games with my dad (and the rest of my family, too) are some of my most cherished.  I can’t wait to pass on things like this to my own children.  And I eagerly await what Nintendo has in store for us with this beloved series.
 
One thing is for certain…I will forever be a Zeldarian!  HYRULE HISTORIA now has a special place on my shelf and in my heart.
 
 
(P.S. The Makar plush was lovingly handmade by me. ^-^)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment